Syria Bound Mother Charged with Child Abduction
9 September 2015 by Kate Taylor
A 33 year old mother who allegedly planned to travel to Syria with her four children, has been charged with child abduction.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was detained in Turkey on Tuesday 1st September after the family went missing from their home in north east London the previous week. She was questioned by police after returning to Britain and held at Luton Airport.
Following an investigation by the Metropolitan Police’s counter terrorism command, the woman was charged with taking four children under the age of 16 out of the UK without the appropriate consent. In these circumstances consent is required from the father who shares parental responsibility with the mother.
Appearing at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court, the mother indicated that she would plead not guilty to the charge. She was remanded in custody to appear at Southwark Crown Court on 21 September.
The family were believed to have flown from London City Airport to Amsterdam on 25th August destined for Syria. All of the children, aged between 4 and 12, were said to be safe and well when the family was detained by Turkish authorities.
A private hearing was held in the Family Division of the High Court shortly after the arrest to consider the long-term future of the children. Mr Justice Cobb said that details of the proceedings could not be reported but he said the children were together and had been taken into foster care for the time being.
For further information about child abduction, please click here.
For further information about parental responsibility, please click here.
FJG support St Helena Hospice in the Wills Month Campaign 2017 #FJGBlog https://t.co/izIL5MBYCq3 hours
RT @Community360org: Thank you to everyone who supported the Community Marketplace today, especially our wonderful sponsors! @ScruttonBland…17 hours