Moving house? Who do I need to tell?
13 June 2018 by Penny Hepburn
Congratulations. You are now the proud owners of a new home but who should you tell about your change of address? In the frenzy of organising your move, selling, packing etc., it is easy to overlook everyone you need to tell about your new address. You will most likely have told your friends and family but below is a list of the others you will also need to contact:
- Your Employer – for updating your contact details and payroll details.
- The HMRC to update your:
- Income Tax
- National Insurance
- State Pension
- Tax Credits, Child Benefit
- Your Local Authority to update your Council Tax address and re-register on the Electoral Roll.
- The Department of Work & Pensions if you receive any monies from the Government.
- You need to let all your utility suppliers know such as your electricity, gas, water, phone and broadband, your TV licence and your satellite or cable subscription.
- You can also contact the Royal Mail. You can have your mail redirected for 3, 6 or 12 months.
- You will need to ensure you update your address details with any insurance policies you hold, be it for your car, your home, for travel, your pet or your life cover.
- As well as updating your car insurance, you will need to speak to the DVLA to update your driving licence and your V5C Vehicle log book (there is a possible £1000 fine if you forget to do this!)
- You will also need to inform your bank, building society, premium bonds, pensions, loan companies, credit/debit card companies and store card providers.
- You will need to updated your contact details with any healthcare providers and in some instances you may need to change providers entirely, this includes your doctor, dentist, optician and veterinary practice.
- Finally, it is important to inform professional service providers such as your Solicitor or accountant. Also any nurseries, schools, colleges or universities you or your relatives may attend, your cleaner, gardener, any professional bodies you may belong to and any charities you support
This list is by no means all-encompassing as every individuals list will look slightly different but it’s a good place to start to get your contact details in order after your move.
RT @ClactonAirshow: We are pleased to announce that Clacton Airshow have been voted into the Top Ten 'Best Summer Events' category on https…17 hours
RT @LSHumanRights: Today @tonyfisherfjg, Chair of the HR Ctee of @TheLawSociety, speaks on the approach of ECtHR on Turkish cases https://t…1 day