Covid-19 – Probate process
27 March 2020 by Jane Golding
We are all in some dark, gloomy and unprecedented times due to the pandemic that has swept across the UK and the world…Coronavirus (Covid-19).
Each day I feel like I am stuck in a very bad dream and will wake up, sadly though it is all very real and the current reality of us all. Covid-19 is affecting everyone’s life in some way shape or form.
Today I had the unenviable experience of speaking with a relative who sadly informed me that they had lost a loved one who has died due to Covid-19 disease. Having spoken with that family member it appears to be a logistical nightmare of the steps that are required following the death of a loved one due to Covid-19.
I set out below the details which the relative kindly provided to me. I am in no doubt that procedures will change on a daily basis:-
- No-one whether well or otherwise will be allowed to attend the hospital where the loved one has died;
- The hospital bereavement team are advising families to nominate and appoint a Funeral Director;
- The Funeral Director appointed will liaise with the hospital concerning the collection of the deceased person together with the collection of the medical certificate. A document required before the death can be formally registered by a Registrar;
- A family member will then need to liaise and arrange collection of the medical certificate from the Funeral Director. They will be provide with the contact details, to arrange a slot to formally register the death of the deceased.
- Funeral Directors have stated that only 5 people are allowed to attend any funeral service and social-distancing is still to remain in practice.
None of us know whether Covid-19 will affect you, your loved one, family or friends. Fisher Jones Greenwood will continue to post updates on social media and blogs to provide ongoing assistance to families.
If Fisher Jones Greenwood can assist you in this process, please feel free to contact us on 01206 700113 for initial telephone advice free of charge or email [email protected].