Long delays in Grant of Probate being issued…
24 June 2019 by Jane Golding
Lengthy delays in all Probate Registries across England and Wales are being experienced by bereaved families, Executors and Solicitors.
The usual estimate for processing Applications for a Grant of Probate by the Probate Registry used to be two weeks. Unfortunately, in recent months significant delays in applications have meant that Applications are now taking between ten to fifteen weeks.
What are the reasons for the delays?
- IT problems. This is due to the installation of the new online probate application process at the end of March 2019. Glitches have occurred in the Registry’s new software and their printing systems.
- 22% increase in applications being lodged with the Probate Registry covering the months of March and April 2019, due to the forthcoming change to the Probate Fee structure.
- Insufficient resources in the Probate Registries, in order to enable the backlog to be cleared. The problem may even worsen in the summer months due to staff taking their annual leave. It is estimated that some 30,000 plus Applications are currently awaiting process by the Registries.
With the continuing delays in Grants of Probates being issued, this means that delays are being incurred in the Administration of an Estate.
- Executors must safeguard assets set out in a Will within a year.
- Discharging of Bequests in a timely fashion.
- Delays are preventing Solicitors for accounting to Beneficiaries.
- Delays are preventing property sales completing.
The current update by HMCTS is the Registries are working hard to get through the backlog of applications.
If Fisher Jones Greenwood Solicitors can assist you in the Extraction of a Grant of Probate or Administration of an Estate, then please do not hesitate to contact us on 01206 700113 or email [email protected] to arrange a mutually convenient appointment.
The solicitor/conveyancer is there to guide you- moving is stressful and you need to have a good rapport with your… https://t.co/fSypyKy1PW2 days