What is work experience at FJG really like?
26 July 2019 by Guest Author
Have you ever tried to apply for a job within a law firm? If so, you’ll know that it’s difficult because it’s such a competitive industry, with so many different departments to choose from. So what can you do to make yourself stand out, or to find the area of law that works best for you? Many people have found success by taking part in work experience programmes. This post will tell you about my experience with Fisher Jones Greenwood LLP particularly, and let you know exactly what you will experience when working with the firm.
As a student 2 years into studying the Law LLB, I knew it was really important to begin putting the law I am learning into practice as soon as possible, as well as get to know what type of firm works for me. Due to being unsure about what direction I want to go in in future, I was nervous about starting my experience at FJG, but as soon as I was greeted on my first day my nerves were put ease due to the friendliness of every member. I was guided through my schedule for the week (which seemed quite full-on at first, but worked out perfectly!) and was introduced to staff.
What did I get up to each day?
- Monday: I was talked through different members’ roles within the dispute resolution department, including being guided through the type of work they do on an everyday basis. This helped me gain a great understanding of the type of work I could face myself and gave me a much better knowledge of what each area of law entailed. Also, everybody was happy to answer any questions I had about working in law (however strange!) which gave me great insider knowledge.
- Tuesday: I spoke with the head of family law who answered all of my questions regarding the subject, giving me a much better understanding of exactly what problems clients bring forward, and how best to address them. I also worked on an example of a financial case they may have to deal with and drafted a consent order. Of course, I felt a bit daunted by the task at first as I’d never seen a document like it, but I was supported throughout and given really helpful feedback.
- Wednesday: I drafted a share purchase agreement, along with other documents, and, again, everyone in the commercial team were more than happy to help! This gave me great experience in the type of work I would be dealing with as a paralegal.
- Thursday: I spent my day drafting a lease with the support of the commercial property team. This helped me uncover that I have a real interest in the area, which I am keen to explore further. There were also lots of ice-creams served at lunch which is definitely a great incentive to work at FJG!
- Friday: Friday was a personal development day which I found extremely helpful. I was given lots of hints and tips about how to present myself in the best way possible when looking for legal work. This included a one-to-one chat what Paula, the managing partner at FJG, who talked to me about exactly what type of people FJG are looking for. I was also given feedback on my CV from the HR manager, as well as a mock interview (sounds scary I know, but Andrew Morgan and Anthony Edwards were very friendly and just wanted to help me feel as prepared as possible in future!)
What did I get out of the work experience at FJG?
As you can probably tell, the FJG work experience programme has been designed for people to get the most out of their short time in the firm as possible. I not only got to carry out legal work, but I got to a real sense of what working here would be like. All staff are extremely professional, motivated, and passionate about their work and their clients. There is also a real team spirit, with every member on every level being respected and valued within the ‘family’ at FJG. Another noticeable benefit of FJG is that they value the importance of pushing people to fulfil their full potential, which is a very positive environment to be in and motivates me to want to progress in my career.
I could not have asked for a better place to take part in work experience and will continue to better the skills I have picked up at FJG.
Now that you know about my experience at FJG, why not apply yourself?
Written by Maya
RT @MistleyCC: How good did the new T20 kit look on Thursday?! 🔥 A massive thanks to @FJGSolicitors for sponsoring our kit this year! https…2 days